Outdoor Burning

Commissioner Franz has lifted the statewide burn ban for DNR-protected lands, however, local burn restrictions may still be in place. Please call your local fire authority before lighting any fire.
To reduce the occurrence of human-caused wildfires, the Department of Natural Resources regulates outdoor burning through the use of burn restrictions and burn permits. DNR's jurisdiction includes all forestlands where DNR provides wildfire protection - 13 million acres of undeveloped non-federal forestland across the state. Your forested property is within DNR protection if you pay a forest fire protection assessment as part of your property tax. If you are unsure, check your county property tax statement or contact your local DNR region office.

View the recording of the two-hour Smoke Management Plan webinar.
DNR held a webinar in collaboration with the Washington State Department of Ecology on Feb. 18 at 2 p.m. The two-hour webinar discussed changes to the Smoke Management Plan.
This FAQ may help answer some questions. DNR will consider comments submitted to this email DNRRESMPUpdate@dnr.wa.gov until March 7, 2021. Residents may also submit comments via mail to DNR, ATTN: Smoke Management Program, 1111 Washington St. SE, Olympia, WA 98504.

When there is no burn restriction, burning on DNR-protected lands may be allowed if:
  • You are the landowner of the property where the burning will occur, or you have obtained written permission to burn on the property from the landowner or the landowner’s designated representative, and
  • Prohibited materials are not burned, which includes: garbage, dead animals, asphalt, petroleum products, paints, rubber products, plastics, treated wood, metal or any substance other than natural vegetation, which when burned releases toxic emissions, dense smoke, or odors, and
  • The burning will not occur within the boundary of an Urban Growth Area unless the purpose of burning is to improve or maintain fire dependent ecosystems for rare plants or animals, and
  • You are not burning debris generated from a land clearing operation. This also includes yard and garden materials moved from your improved property, and
  • You follow the Rule Burn or Permit Burn (see Burn Permits).
Learn about alternatives to outdoor burning from WA State Department of Ecology. Also keep an eye out for smoke in your area, and follow the WA Smoke Blog.

Outdoor Burning Brochures

Related Outdoor Burning and Air Quality Resources