How do I Acquire a Firewood Cutting Permit for State Trust Lands?
We provide limited opportunities for the public to cut firewood in approved areas on state trust lands when suitable downed wood is left at timber harvest sites. Purchasers of trust lands timber sales are using more and more of the branches left after trees are harvested, so please understand that there are fewer opportunities for personal firewood collection.
Please follow your permit carefully for where and what to cut and collect as snags, downed wood, and stumps can be important wildlife habitat components that we manage per our State Trust Lands Habitat Conservation Plan.
- DNR Northwest, Olympic, Southeast, and South Puget Sound regions display cutting areas and permits below on this page.
- For wood cutting opportunities in other regions, see instructions below, or contact the appropriate region office for instructions.
- Each DNR region provides specific information and serves as your point of contact.
- See contact information below map to get firewood cutting permit.
- Foresters mark the area appropriate for cutting and collecting your firewood. Please follow instructions and stay in the specified area.
- Verify if Industrial Fire Precaution Levels need to be observed.
NOTE - Access may not be available due to snow or storm damage; watch for road closure signs.
A Discover Pass is required to access DNR-managed recreation lands. For more information on how to purchase the pass, visit www.discoverpass.wa.gov or call 1-866-320-9933.
Northwest Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- Backwoods/Hoosier Permit - New 9/13/18
- Cold Springs Permit - New 9/13/18
- Newman Permit - New 9/13/18
- Wagons East Permit - New 9/13/18
- Golden Gopher Permit - New 9/13/18
- Clearwater Revival - New 9/20/18
Olympic Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- None at this time.
Pacific Cascade Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- None at this time.
As permits become available, they will be listed above. To request an available permit, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- In the Subject Line put: "Firewood Permit Request"
- In the e-mail body put Applicant Name
- Phone Number
- Permit area requested (one only) from the opportunities available
- Preference for how Permit is delivered to you (e-mail, hard-copy mail)
- Only one permit, per household, per year will be issued
Southeast Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities/
2018 Firewood Permit for Chelan, Kittitas, Klickitat (west of the Klickitat River), Skamania (east of Little White Salmon River), and Yakima counties Updated 4/18/18
Links to Green Dot Road Maps - found under the Informing the Public and Professionals section
South Puget Sound Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
As of May 1, 2018: When available, firewood permits will be posted directly below. Simply click on the permit name, then print, complete, sign and keep the permit displayed in your vehicle.
None at this time.