How do I Acquire a Firewood Cutting Permit for State Trust Lands?
We provide limited opportunities for the public to cut firewood in approved areas on state trust lands when suitable downed wood is left at timber harvest sites. Purchasers of trust lands timber sales are using more and more of the branches left after trees are harvested, so please understand that there are fewer opportunities for personal firewood collection.
Please follow your permit carefully for where and what to cut and collect as snags, downed wood, and stumps can be important wildlife habitat components that we manage per our State Trust Lands Habitat Conservation Plan.
- DNR Northwest, Olympic, Southeast, and South Puget Sound regions display cutting areas and permits below on this page.
- For wood cutting opportunities in other regions, see instructions below, or contact the appropriate region office for instructions.
- Each DNR region provides specific information and serves as your point of contact.
- See contact information below map to get firewood cutting permit.
- Foresters mark the area appropriate for cutting and collecting your firewood. Please follow instructions and stay in the specified area.
- Verify if Industrial Fire Precaution Levels need to be observed.
NOTE - Access may not be available due to snow or storm damage; watch for road closure signs.
A Discover Pass is required to access DNR-managed recreation lands. For more information on how to purchase the pass, visit www.discoverpass.wa.gov or call 1-866-320-9933.
Northwest Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
Olympic Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- Fancy Nancy Permit - New 10/16/18
- Gold Fish Permit - New 10/16/18
- Loose Ends Permit - New 10/16/18
- Rainy Clark Permit - New 10/16/18
- Shaledown Permit - New 10/16/18
- Short Stack Permit - New 10/16/18
- Snahapish Rise Permit - New 10/16/18
- Blyn Repeater Permit - New 10/16/18
- Red & Blue Permit - New 10/17/18
- Maudified Permit - New 11/1/18
- Ellen Creek Permit - New 11/2/18
- Bear Line Permit - New 11/8/18
Pacific Cascade Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- North Elochoman Firewood Permit located approximately 25 miles west of Longview in Wahkiakum County. This permit expires May 15, 2019. New 11/9/18
As permits become available, they will be listed above. To request an available permit, email email@example.com with the following information:
- In the Subject Line put: "Firewood Permit Request"
- In the e-mail body put Applicant Name
- Phone Number
- Permit area requested (one only) from the opportunities available
- Preference for how Permit is delivered to you (e-mail, hard-copy mail)
- Only one permit, per household, per year will be issued
Southeast Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities/
2018 Firewood Permit for Chelan, Kittitas, Klickitat (west of the Klickitat River), Skamania (east of Little White Salmon River), and Yakima counties Updated 4/18/18
Links to Green Dot Road Maps - found under the Informing the Public and Professionals section
South Puget Sound Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
As of May 1, 2018: When available, firewood permits will be posted directly below. Simply click on the permit name, then print, complete, sign and keep the permit displayed in your vehicle.
Belfair Fall 2018 Firewood – Tahuya and Green Mountain State Forests, expires 12/2/2018 UPDATED 11/14/18 to add additional unit, see new map on page 10 of permit