How do I Acquire a Firewood Cutting Permit for State Trust Lands?
We provide limited opportunities for the public to cut firewood in approved areas on state trust lands when suitable downed wood is left at timber harvest sites. Purchasers of trust lands timber sales are using more and more of the branches left after trees are harvested, so please understand that there are fewer opportunities for personal firewood collection.
Please follow your permit carefully for where and what to cut and collect as snags, downed wood, and stumps can be important wildlife habitat components that we manage per our State Trust Lands Habitat Conservation Plan.
- DNR Northwest, Olympic, Southeast, and South Puget Sound regions display cutting areas and permits below on this page.
- For wood cutting opportunities in other regions, see instructions below, or contact the appropriate region office for instructions.
- Each DNR region provides specific information and serves as your point of contact.
- See contact information below map to get firewood cutting permit.
- Foresters mark the area appropriate for cutting and collecting your firewood. Please follow instructions and stay in the specified area.
- Verify if Industrial Fire Precaution Levels need to be observed.
NOTE - Access may not be available due to snow or storm damage; watch for road closure signs.
A Discover Pass is required to access DNR-managed recreation lands. For more information on how to purchase the pass, visit www.discoverpass.wa.gov or call 1-866-320-9933.
Northwest Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
None at this time
Olympic Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- No Name Carpenter - New 10/16/19
- Maple Syrup - New 10/16/19
- Higher Grounds - New 10/16/19
- Main Time - New 10/16/19
- Striped Tie Extended Permit - New 1/10/2020
Pacific Cascade Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
- Bunny Hill Stebbins Firewood Permit located approximately 28 miles northeast of Washougal in Skamania County. This permit expires March 31, 2020. - New 11/20/19
- As permits become available, they will be listed above. To request an available permit, email email@example.com with the following information:
- In the Subject Line put: "Firewood Permit Request"
- In the e-mail body put Applicant Name
- Phone Number
- Permit area requested (one only) from the opportunities available
- Preference for how Permit is delivered to you (e-mail, hard-copy mail)
- Only one permit, per household, per year will be issued
Southeast Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities/
Links to Green Dot Road Maps - found under the Informing the Public and Professionals section
South Puget Sound Region Firewood Cutting Opportunities
As of May 1, 2018: When available, firewood permits will be posted directly below. Simply click on the permit name, then print, complete, sign and keep the permit displayed in your vehicle.
Black Hills 2019 Firewood - Capitol State Forest, EXTENDED UNTIL FEBRUARY 2, 2020 with the exception of unit 2 in Board O’Feet, which will still expire 1/5/20. - Updated 12/31/2019