Natural Heritage Advisory Council
Govenor's Proclamation: COVID-19: Open Public Meetings Act and Public Records Act
View a list of additional operational changes related to COVID-19.
The Natural Heritage Advisory Council (established by RCW 79.70.070) advises the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR), the Department of Fish and Wildlife, and the State Parks and Recreation Commission about implementing the Natural Area Preserves Act.
The Council has several functions:
- Review potential Natural Area Preserves and Natural Resources Conservation Areas. Based on its evaluation, the council approves or rejects proposed sites. When the council approves a site, its recommendation is forwarded to the appropriate state agency head (Commissioner of Public Lands, Director of the Department of Fish and Wildlife, or Director of State Parks).
- Providing guidance for managing natural areas.
- Directing DNR staff in any revisions to the State of Washington Natural Heritage Plan.
For more information, view the Natural Heritage Advisory Council factsheet.
The council has 15 members. The ten members are appointed by the Commissioner of Public Lands and they serve four-year terms. Five non-voting, ex-officio members are appointed by agencies and they serve open-ended terms.
Ten members appointed by the Commissioner of Public Lands:
- Five of whom must also be recognized experts in the ecology of natural areas
- At least one who is (or represents) a private forest landowner
- At least one who is (or represents) a private agricultural landowner
- Five non-voting, ex-officio, members appointed by their agency heads to represent DNR, Department of Fish and Wildlife, Department of Ecology, State Parks and Recreation Commission, and the Recreation and Conservation Office
October 23, 2020
June 3-4, 2020
March 27, 2020
MEETING UPDATE - Due to the closure of all DNR offices, in response to COVID-19, this is now a call-in meeting.
9:30 am - 11:45 am
Join by phone: (360) 407-3858
Conference ID: 3080584
January 15, 2020
October 22, 2019
June 20 - 21, 2019
April 11, 2019