Forestry Riparian Easement Program

Little Spokane River
The Forestry Riparian Easement Program (FREP) is a voluntary program that reimburses landowners for the value of the trees they are required to leave to protect fish habitat. The program provides compensation for a minimum of 50 percent of the timber value and applies to trees adjacent to streams, wetlands, seeps, or unstable slopes.
You may qualify if you are an eligible small forest landowner and:
  • You own either a parcel larger than 20 contiguous acres or more than 80 forested acres in Washington state,
  • You harvest less than 2 million board feet of timber on average, per year,
  • Your timber harvest would be next to a stream river, wetland, lake, or pond,
  • Your harvest does not convert the qualifying land to a use incompatible with growing timber.