Small Forest Landowner Office
Message from Tami Miketa, Manager of the Small Forest Landowner Office:
We are in the midst of some very uncertain and unprecedented times, and our level of anxiety is extremely high. The outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) may be stressful for people. Fear and anxiety about a disease can be overwhelming and can cause strong emotions in adults and children. Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about, and your community stronger. Here is a link to some tips and thoughts about coping with stress and ways to help others that have really inspired me at this difficult time, and I would like to share with you.
Many of you took the time to respond to my note to readers. We have taken those responses and posted them here. Remember, there's light at the end of the tunnel, and together, we can get through this!
At the Small Forest Landowner Office, we seek to provide you and other family forest owners with technical and financial assistance that helps you meet your objectives for your lands -- whether it's to enhance fish and wildlife habitat, reduce fuels, increase recreation opportunities, improve forest health, produce revenue or all of the above.
Financial Assistance Programs
- Family Forest Fish Passage program helps landowners replace culverts and other stream crossing structures that prevent trout, salmon and other fish from reaching upstream habitat.
- Forestry Riparian Easement program compensates eligible landowners in exchange for a 50-year easement on “qualifying timber” on their property.
- Rivers and Habitat Open Space program acquires permanent forestland conservation easements for unconfined channel migration zones and habitat that is critical for state threatened or endangered species.
- Cost share opportunities for eastern Washington may be available to non-federal owners of fewer than 5,000 acres forestland seeking to improve forest health and reduce the threats of bark beetle and wildfire damage.
Regulation Assistance Programs
- Forest Stewardship program provides advice and regulation assistance to help family forest owners manage their lands.
Regulation Assistance program can assist you on any forest practices related questions and with the Forest Practices Application process.
The diversity of Washington state forestlands -- from the rain forests of the Olympic Peninsula to the dry coniferous forests of eastern Washington -- presents a wide range of management opportunities and choices. The Small Forest Landowner Office is here to help you. Contact us today.
Small Forest Landowner Demographic and Road Survey
This is the chance for small forest landowners to tell their story about the great job they are doing maintaining their roads.
The 1999 Salmon Recovery Act required all forest roads be brought up to new forest road standards, as outlined in the 1999 Forests and Fish Report, and established in the Forest Practices Rules.
The Department of Natural Resources (DNR), in consultation with the Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and the Department of Ecology (DOE), is required to monitor the extent, effectiveness, and status of small forest landowner roads. Also, as the agency responsible for carrying out provisions of the federal Clean Water Act (CWA) in Washington State, the DOE monitors water quality to determine whether activities meet the state's water quality standards.
DNR, in consultation with the Small Forest Landowner Office Advisory Committee, is required to develop a plan for evaluating the status of small forest landowner roads. DNR, DOE, and WA Farm Forestry Association (WFFA) developed an online road assessment survey in order to gain sufficient data to determine the status of forest roads on the properties of small forest landowners. Your information in this survey will help DNRs legislative request for increased funding for the Small Forest Landowner Office and will help to show that small forest landowner roads are well maintained and are not contributing significant sediment to our streams.
Thank you for supporting the Small Forest Landowner Office!