Cattle grazing in a field
 Grazing leases are used to allow cattle and sheep access to specified parcels of land to forage vegetation during pre-approved periods of time.
  • DNR issues grazing leases for 10-year terms, as specified in state law (RCW 79.13.060).
  • Rents are determined by AUM (animal unit per month) rates and by regulation, (WAC 332-20-220)
  • When current leases expire, DNR may choose to re-authorize the current use and negotiate with the existing lessee (WAC 332-22-100), or allow the lease to go to public auction.
  • DNR is obligated to consider access to its parcels in the lease authorization process. Entities who would provide permanent access, where the State currently has limited or none, may be given preference.
If you are interested in leasing state trust lands for grazing, use our Interactive Map Viewing Tool to find leases due to expire this year. Look for leases marked as “Open for Lease Application” and submit a Bonus Bid Application during the dates indicated. Download a Bonus Bid Application. Other agriculture properties may be identified as “Public Auction." See a list of parcels identified for Public Auction.
Get help using the viewing tool: Basic User Guide or Detailed User Guide.