Teanaway Community Forest Advisory Committee
The Teanaway Community Forest Advisory Committee provides advice to the Washington State departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) about the ongoing management and recreation planning for the forest. The committee represents the interests of governments, communities, partners, and stakeholder groups reflecting the priorities of the broad cross-section of Washingtonians who cherish the forest.
When the overall management plan for the Teanaway Community Forest was finalized in 2015, the agencies and the advisory committee agreed more time was needed for recreation planning. For that reason, the 2015 plan did not prescribe detailed management approaches but identified broad goals for recreation.
In December 2018, the agencies and advisory committee completed the Teanaway Community Forest Recreation Plan (page 75) to serve as a supplement to the Teanaway Community Forest Management Plan. Now, the Teanaway is entering into a 15-year implementation phase guided by the plan.
DNR, WDFW, and the advisory committee invited public input and ideas while developing the recreation plan. They will continue to encourage people to participate in the recreation planning process throughout the implementation phase.
Teanaway Management Goals
- To protect and enhance the water supply and protect the watershed;
- To maintain working lands for forestry and grazing while protecting key watershed functions and aquatic habitat;
- To maintain and where possible expand recreational opportunities consistent with watershed protection, for activities such as hiking, fishing, hunting, horseback riding, camping, birding, and snowmobiling;
- To conserve and restore vital habitat for fish, including steelhead, spring Chinook, and bull trout, and wildlife, including deer, elk, large predators, and spotted owls; and
- To support a strong community partnership, in which the Yakama Nation, residents, business owners, local governments, conservation groups, and others provide advice about ongoing land management,
Teanaway Recreation Goals
- Ensure recreational activities and facilities are consistent with watershed protection, working lands, and habitat restoration.
- Provide a sustainable network of safe, enjoyable recreational trails.
- Evaluate the suitability of continued and/or expanded motorcycle use within the forest.
- Establish a consistent law enforcement and public education presence between public agencies, user groups, and citizen volunteers.
- Support existing partnerships and promote new collaboration between public agencies, user groups, and citizen volunteers.
Recreation Planning Process
Teanaway recreation survey
Thanks to the over 2,500 of you who responded to our survey on Teanaway Community Forest recreation. View our summary of what we heard, click here. See the full results here.
Advisory Group Members
Andrea Imler - Washington Trails Association
Andrew Cromarty - Washington Water Trust
Deb Essman - Kittitas County Field and Stream; Kittitas Environmental Education Network; Kittitas Coutny Chamber of Commerce
Doug Schindler - Recreation Laura Osiadacz - Kittitas County Commissioner
Jeri Downs - Farming
Jim Halstrom - Founding Board Memeber for Firends fo teh Teanaway
John Littel - WPEA; WEC; Timber Undions Coalition of WSLAC
Kathy Young - Back Country Horsemen of WA
Martha Wyckoff - Landowner, Neighbor, TPL
Paul Schmitt - Mountain Bicycle
Thomas Tebb - ECY, YBIP Support Team
Sage Park - ECY, YBIP Support Team
Urban Eberhart - Kittitas Irriation District, YBIP
Wayne Mohler - WA State Snowmobile Association, Kittitas Grooming Council Phil Rigdon - Yakima Nation
Tip Hudson - WSU Extension
Brian Straniti - TNC
Nick Pasi - Mountains to Sound Greenway
Next Advisory Meeting
Meeting Archives (2014-2019)
Click here to view archived meeting agendas and materials.