Industrial Fire Precaution Levels (IFPL)
Protection from Wildfire
Activated when needed during the summer fire season, Industrial Fire Precaution Levels (IFPL) are an activity closure system to reduce wildfire risk. By law, it applies to woods workers and other industrial forest users on 13 million acres of unimproved private and state forestland protected by the agency.
Link to the full page IFPL map if viewing from a mobile device.
Emergency operations and operations contained entirely on paved roadway surfaces may continue during all IFPL timing restrictions and shutdowns. During an emergency operation, fire suppression equipment meeting the requirements in WAC 332-24-405 should be on site as soon as the situation allows.
- Learn how to follow IFPL in this four-page brochure (5MB PDF)
- How to use the IFPL map
- Components of the IFPL System (38KB PDF)
- IFPL Pocket Card (98KB PDF)
Map of Washington State Shutdown Zones (9MB JPG)
- IFPL map with PLS grid overlay
- View the law and its description of each IFPL level
- Best Management Practices Guidelines for Motorized Carriages (87KB PDF)
- Certified Air Foam System for Pump Trucks and Trailers (14KB PDF)
- DNR-recommended tools and accessories for a pump truck/trailer (293KB PDF)
- Forest Fire Protection Book - Requirements for Operations on or Near Forestland (720KB PDF)
- List of Washington State Regulations