Public Land Survey Office
-A +A

The Public Land Survey Office (PLSO) is a section within the Washington State Department of Natural Resources that collects, preserves and indexes land survey records and issues permits for removing survey monuments.
The office helps fulfull the state's responsibility to provide a means to identify and preserve survey points that describe common land boundaries, and maintain a system of permanent reference to boundary monuments.
Established in 1951, the PLSO collects land boundary data — currently more than 542,000 documents — many of which were privately held by corporations and individuals and not available to the public. Through the Survey Recording Act of 1973, the state legislature authorized the PLSO to collect all surveys. The PLSO also continues to collect pre-1973 property records which are considered "historical" but valuable in establishing new surveys.
The work of the PLSO is not funded by tax dollars and is completely supported by user fees and sales of its data and maps.
Survey Research Online Service
Now online is a database of 542,000 documents of land boundaries in Washington state dating back to 1856. This fee subscription service is used by organizations, businesses and government agencies.
PLSO Products and Pricing
Following is a list of the prices for Public Land Survey Office (PLSO) products. Please contact the PLSO at 360-902-1190 (during regular business hours) with questions. Products can be purchased at the Natural Resources Building on the 3rd floor in room 340 between the hours of 8:00am to 4:00pm.
  • GLO Plats (11x17) $5
  • Surveys (11x17) $5
  • Large-size prints of the above $7
  • GLO Notes, Recoveries $1
  • Monument Data Sheets $1
  • NGS Internet Search $10
  • USGS Quadrangles 7 1/2 Minute Series (Topographic) $8
  • FAX/IMAGE handling charge per sheet ($5 minimum) $1
  • Certification (extra per order) $5
  • minimum order charge $10
Forms, Guidebooks and Manuals for Download
Available here are a number of forms, guidebooks and manuals for download.
Removal of Survey Markers
When it becomes obvious that a survey marker must be removed, either temporarily or permanently, the professional surveyor involved must apply to the PLSO prior to beginning any field work. The application must show the proposed method of referencing and/or reestablishing the monument. Under extraordinary circumstances, verbal permission may be granted pending the processing and issuance of the written permit. This permit system provides public record of changes that occur to survey monuments.
Send new applications and completed report sections to:
John Gasche
Public Land Survey Office
PO Box 47030
Olympia WA 98504-7030
New applications will be processed in a timely manner. Be sure to print the application on legal-size paper. A licensed land surveyor applicant is required to stamp, sign and date the application and each additional page. The county engineer or surveyor of the affected county is notified by the Public Land Survey Office (PLSO) of the application at the time of approval. If the monument(s) applied for in the application was set by a government agency (city, county, state or federal), additional processing time may be necessary to get approval from the appropriate agency.
When the stated action is complete, the report section on the backside of the application needs to be stamped by a licensed land surveyor, signed, dated and returned to the same address indicated above. Please reference the original application number on the report section. It is recommended the applicant retain a copy. The county engineer or surveyor of the affected county will be notified by the PLSO of the report received thus closing the application.
If the estimated time of completion is incorrect and an extension is needed, please contact John Gasche at 360-902-1230 or send an email to request an extension. Be sure to reference the application number.
Wanted: Historic Land Boundary Records
The Public Land Survey Office is looking for collections of survey records that could hold answers to property boundary questions. Information regarding any property boundary documents can be referred to 360-902-1190 or by email. The PLSO continues to collect maps and data to improve the accuracy and documentation of this information.