Forest Stewardship & Technical Assistance Foresters

Thinking about harvesting but not sure where to start?
Do you need assistance managing your land or are you interested in developing a Forest Stewardship Plan?
We have stewardship and technical assistance foresters available for you across the state!

Forest Stewardship Assistance

Forest Stewardship is a nationwide program providing advice and assistance to help family forest owners manage their lands. The program is a cooperative effort between the USDA Forest Service and state forestry agencies. In Washington state, the program is administered by the Department of Natural Resources Small Forest Landowner Office (SFLO).
Stewardship and technical assistance foresters can help you assess resource conditions and forest health, identify potential problems and opportunities, and discover recommended management practices to help you achieve your objectives. The program can help you develop and implement a Forest Stewardship Plan to guide future management and help you qualify for financial assistance, current use taxation, recognition, and certification programs.
If you would like information and/or assistance in creating or maintaining wildlife habitat in your forest, you can receive free technical assistance from our statewide forest stewardship fish and wildlife biologist. 
Who is eligible?
Forestland owners of ten or more acres are eligible for an advisory site visit at no cost. Owners of smaller acreages can receive consultation from DNR by telephone or email.

Technical Assistance

Our stewardship and technical assistance foresters assist small forest landowners across Washington state with questions related to the state’s Forest Practices rules and the Forest Practices Application/Notification (FPA/N). For many landowners, harvesting is a once in a lifetime experience and navigating the rules can be overwhelming. The Technical Assistance program can provide understanding on both the Forest Practices rules and the process in general.
Call or email us with your questions about:
  • State Forest Practices rules and Forest Practices Applications
  • Alternate plans
  • Twenty-acre exempt harvest activities
  • Long-term Forest Practices Applications
  • Low-impact harvest activities
  • Timber harvest systems
  • Road construction techniques
  • Finding a consultant or logger
  • and more.
Who is eligible?
Any landowner that harvests fewer than two million board feet of timber per year on average is eligible to receive technical assistance services from the Small Forest Landowner Office at no charge. Our stewardship and technical assistance foresters are located in Olympia, Sedro Woolley, and Colville but are available anywhere in the state. These services can be provided remotely by telephone or email, or via a field visit to your property. Contact us today!

Educational Programs and Materials

Washington State University (WSU) Extension Forestry in cooperation with DNR, and other agencies and organizations, provides educational programs and materials for family forest owners. Offerings include multi-week Forest Stewardship Coached Planning Shortcourses to help you develop a forest stewardship plan, Regional Forest Owners Field Days, Forest Stewardship University online and more. Coached planning, WSU’s flagship course, teaches landowners how to assess trees, avoid insect and disease problems and attract wildlife. State experts will help you develop your own Forest Stewardship Plan to keep your woods on track to provide enjoyment and income for years to come. Go to for more information.
Our Stewardship & Technical Assistance Foresters are:
Matt Provencher
SW Washington
Stewardship & Technical Assistance Forester
 Olympia, WA
 Office: 360-902-1494
 Cell: 360-819-7143
Rob Lionberger
Eastern Washington
Stewardship & Technical Assistance Forester
Colville, WA
Office: (509) 685-2795
Cell: (509) 703-9988
Our Statewide Forest Stewardship Fish & Wildlife Biologist is:
Ken Bevis
Stewardship Fish & Wildlife Biologist
Ellensburg, WA
Cell: 360-489-4802
Federal Civil Rights
In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, DNR does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. However, should a person wish to file a discrimination complaint, please write to:
USDA, Director
Office of Civil Rights
Room 326-W, Whitten Building
1400 Independence Ave SW
Washington D.C. 20250-9410
or call 202-720-5964 (voice and TDD)
*USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.