Would you like to be a forest watch volunteer?
Forest watch volunteers help protect and enhance DNR-managed land while working with the public to encourage appropriate recreation use. Volunteers also educate the public about the value of natural resources and DNR’s role as steward of more than 3 million acres of state trust lands.
What Do Forest Watch Volunteers Do?
- Provide information to visitors.
- Monitor and observe trails, sites, and facilities.
- Document and report safety concerns and suspicious or criminal activities.
Expectations of forest watch volunteers
- Provide friendly, courteous information and assistance to forest visitors.
- Represent DNR in a professional manner.
- Complete all required training.
- Follow safety procedures.
- Serve within the scope and limits of assigned volunteer responsibilities.
- Accurately report observations and complete required records and timesheets.
Benefits to you, as a forest watch volunteer
- Be a part of providing an important and meaningful service in protecting and enhancing state trust lands.
- Learn new skills and information.
- Improve recreation trails, sites, and facilities.
- Meet other people who share a passion for outdoor recreation.
- Enhance your resume with documented volunteer work experience. All state, county, and municipal job openings in Washington State permit each hour of qualified volunteer service to equal one hour of required work experience.
How do I become a forest watch volunteer?
who do i contact?
Contact DNR Forest Watch Program Coordinator Ken Dean or one of the Region Coordinators below to inquire about volunteering. Please contact the region that is responsible for your area (map).
Jeff Jones, 509-972-2862 or email@example.com
Kyle Pomrankey, 509-685-2719 or firstname.lastname@example.org
South Puget Sound Region
Jordan Reeves, 253-651-2431 or email@example.com
Jesse Sims, 360-801-5097 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Pacific Cascade Region
Nick Cronquist, 360-480-2700 or email@example.com
Bryan Hamlin, 360-356-0536 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Jessica Kimmick, 360-852-3390 or email@example.com
Steve Rhodes, 360-584-4872 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wayne Fitzwater, 360-457-2570 or email@example.com
Cathy Baker, 360-374-2860 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Alexis Kodosky, 360-708-7629 or email@example.com