June 26, 2012
Rescheduled: Media invited to June 28 Helitack training, weather permitting
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invites media to attend a live training for Helitack crews in Ellensburg. The function of the Helitack group is to attack fires while they are small, using the aircraft to transport up to six fire personnel to the fire.
In 2009 and 2010, the fast-strike response of helicopters allowed DNR to control fires before they could grow into larger blazes, reducing the number of acres burned to below the five-year average.
Media will receive a firsthand look at the training that is required to safely fight wildland fires, utilizing helicopters to transport fire personnel, water, and other firefighting support equipment. They also will have an opportunity for interviews and to take photos of the helicopters and crews.
| What:|| Photo and interview opportunity: Helicopters, crews, firefighter training|
| When:|| June 28, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Plan ahead for travel time |
| Where: || Coleman Canyon Helibase, Coleman Creek Road, Ellensburg, WA|
| RSVP:|| firstname.lastname@example.org|
Directions (look for Helitack signs):
- Start at I-90 – Take Exit 115 in Kittitas
- Head west on Exit 115 toward Cleman Road/Main Street – go 23 feet
- Turn right on Main Street – go 0.8 miles
- Turn right onto Railroad Avenue – go 0.1 mile
- Continue onto Clark Street – go 0.3 mile
- Turn Right onto Patrick Avenue – go 482 feet
- Turn left onto Number 81 Road – go 4.1 miles
- Turn right onto Brick Mill Road – go 1.3 miles
- Turn left onto Cooke Canyon Road – go 2.5 miles
- Turn left onto Coleman Creek Road – go 2.4 miles – Destination will be on the left
Janet Pearce, Communications and Outreach, 360-902-1122, email@example.com
On day of the event:
Bryan Flint, Communications and Outreach Director, 360-870-3853, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #