The Washington State Department of Natural Resources * USFS Colville National Forest
USFS Idaho Panhandle National Forest * Bureau of Indian Affairs * Idaho Department of Lands
the Inland Empire Fire Chiefs Association
June 7, 2011
Media invited to annual wildfire orientation
Training allows media safe access to local wildfires
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources, USFS Colville National Forest, USFS Idaho Panhandle National Forest, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Idaho Department of Lands, and the Inland Empire Fire Chiefs Association are offering the annual wildfire orientation for area news media. Videographers, photographers, reporters, assignment editors, and any media personnel requiring safe access to local wildfire incidents are invited to attend. Course participants will receive a certification card that will assist in the safe covering of wildfire incidents.
Training available June 23rd or June 24th
Wildfire safety training is being offered on June 23rd or June 24th, to better accommodate attendee’s schedules.
| Dates:|| June 23rd or June 24th. You only need to attend one of the two days.|
| Time:|| 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.|
| Location: || Spokane Valley Fire Department Training Center, 2411 N. Pioneer Lane, Spokane, WA |
| Directions: || From I-90 and Sullivan, head North on Sullivan and turn right at Marietta (Fire Station 5 is on the corner). Take the next right on Pioneer Lane and then next right into the training center. |
Course participants will learn about:
- General safety consideration for working wildfire assignments
- The elements that affect wildfire behavior
- Fire shelter deployment, including a hands-on fire shelter practice (wear comfortable clothing)
- Personal protective equipment requirements
- Wildfire safety principles including Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes, and Safety Zones (LCES), the Standard Fire Orders, and Fire Watch-Outs
- Local DNR, USFS and IDL contacts for 2011 fire season
RSVP via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with approximate number of attendees for each day. For additional information, please contact Guy Gifford at (509) 990-6218.
Media Contact: Janet Pearce, Communications and Outreach, 360-902-1122, email@example.com
# # #