FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
November 1, 2010
Tribes and State DNR to Celebrate Native American Heritage Month in November
State DNR and partners to host events in Natural Resource Building
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invites the public to celebrate Native American Heritage Month November 3-30 at the Natural Resource Building in Olympia. DNR will highlight its partnership with Native American tribes in Washington State and how resources on state trust lands contribute to Washington’s cultural heritage.
The Skokomish, Nisqually, and Chehalis Tribes will participate in this month-long celebration. The Burke Museum, located in Seattle, will provide displays in the NRB Rotunda. The Nisqually and Chehalis Tribes will be displaying cedar carved canoes in the NRB rotunda as well.
Native American Heritage Month event schedule for Natural Resource Building (NRB)
All events will take place from November 3 through November 30 in the NRB.
Novembers Event Schedule:
- November 8, Monday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Cedar bark stripping and demonstration by Skokomish Tribe
- November 9, Tuesday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Cedar hat and basket weaving demonstration and discussion by Skokomish Tribe
- November 12, Friday, noon to 1 p.m. - Guest Speakers Ken Gordon (Potlatch Fund), Gary Harris (U.S. Forest Service), Rodney Cawston (DNR Tribal Liaison) - Cedar Tree Acquisition Process
- November 15, Monday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Cedar bark stripping and demonstration by Nisqually Tribe
- November 17, Wednesday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. - Totem, bentwood boxes, canoe carving, and discussion by Skokomish Tribe
- November 19, Friday, noon to 1 p.m. - Guest Speaker Chairman Fawn Sharp Quinault Tribe - Climate Change
- November 22, Monday, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.- Cedar root gathering and weaving demonstration by the Wanapum and Nisqually Tribes
- November 30, Tuesday, noon to 1 p.m. - Dance troupe by Nisqually Tribe
For the most up-to-date information on the events for Native American Heritage Month, follow DNR on Twitter and Facebook.
Contact: Tami Ishler, Executive Management and Support, 360-902-1008, Tami.Ishler@dnr.wa.gov
Media Contact: Sarah Frey, Communications Intern, 360-902-1120, Sarah.Frey@dnr.wa.gov
# # #