June 23, 2010
Media invited to June 29 Helitack training
Crews prepare for fire season
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) invites media to attend a live training for Helitack crews in Ellensburg. The function of the Helitack group is to attack fires while they are small using the aircraft as the means of transporting up to six fire personnel to the fire.
Media will receive a firsthand look at the training that is required to safely fight wildland fires, utilizing helicopters to transport fire personnel, water, and other firefighting support equipment. They also will have an opportunity for interviews and for photos of the helicopters and crews.
When: June 29th, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Where: North Fork Hatchery Helibase, North Fork Teanaway Road, Ellensburg, WA
- Start at the Pilot Gas Station off of I-90 - Exit 106 in Ellensburg.
- Go north on US-97 toward Dry Creek Connector Road/WA-10.
- Turn slight left onto US-97/WA-10.
- Turn right onto US-97.
- Turn left onto WA-970.
- Turn right onto Teanaway Road.
- Teanaway Road becomes North Fork Teanaway Road.
- North Fork Hatchery Helibase will be on left side of road.
Media Contact: Janet Pearce, Communications and Outreach, 360-902-1122, firstname.lastname@example.org
# # #